Kandy City Tour from Dambulla
Kandy City Tour from Dambulla
(SKU: LK600I1900) Enjoy a full day tour of picturesque Kandy Sri Lanka’s second largest city on this guided excursion from Dambulla. Visit the Temple of the Tooth, one of the world’s holiest Buddhist sites, and stroll through rare plant specimens in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Peradeniya. Tours also include an exclusive meet and greet with local artisans, with the chance to take home souvenirs.
- A full day guided tour of Kandy from Dambulla.
- Enjoy free time to grab a tasty meal on your own at one of the local establishments.
- Learn about local gem crafters, batik makers, and woodcarvers and shop for gifts.
- Tours include specialty round trip transportation from the front door of your hotel.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off.
- Transport by private air conditioned vehicle.
- Service of English-speaking chauffeur guide.
- 2 x 500 ml water bottle per person.
- Entrance tickets to the visiting sites.
- Food and beverages.
- Expenses of personal nature.
Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic: Temple of the Tooth Relic is a Buddhist temple in the City of Kandy. It is considered the foremost sacred place of worship in the Buddhist World. According to legend, the tooth was taken from the Buddha as he lay on his funeral pyre. It immediately became an object of great reverence and was enshrined in a series of nested jeweled reliquaries. On the outside, the temple buildings are not magnificent or elaborately decorated. While with red roofs, they cluster around Kandy Lake. In striking contrast to the plain exterior, the interiors of the temple buildings are richly carved and decorated with inlaid woods, ivory and lacquer. The relic of the tooth is kept in a two story inner shrine fronted by two large elephant tusks.
Kandy City Center: you will be going on technical tours to see the crafts of some of the traditional artisans of Kandy; such as the gem crafters, wood carvers and batik makers. You will get to see the process of how they do their work and will be able to purchase some great souvenirs (if you wish) too.
Royal Botanical Gardens: Botanical Gardens began their life as medieval medicinal gardens called ‘physic gardens’ in Europe. They were initially founded in the 16th century during Italian Renaissance period though some records prove the existence of small scale physic gardens as early as the 14th century. As botany was established as a subject separate from medicine in the 17th century, plant imports from explorations around the world began to be cultivated. During the 18th century proper methods plant classification and cultivation of foreign plants became known and many botanical gardens were established in tropical countries. The Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew near London played a central role in uniting the various botanical researches being conducted in the other gardens. As the years have passed botanical gardens have taken a major place in culture and botany. They have been places of great advances in science and horticulture.
Kandy Lake Club-Cultural Dance Show Cultural Dance Show: Be escorted to a performance of the traditional Kandyan dance, accompanied by tumultuous drumming. Dances include the cobra dance, mask dance, the Ginisila, showing power over fire. The entire frenetic and colorful spectacle climaxes with the amazing fire-walking act.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended for this tour. Wearing well-covered attire along with Sandals or Flip Flops are recommend for Temple of the Tooth Relic and to all other religious sights of Sri Lanka.
- Near public transportation.
- Most travelers can participate.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate.